Thursday, September 27, 2007

Lake Itasca - the start of the Mississippi River

The first few days of our summer camping trip were spent at Grandpa Z's sister's house - Mary Zajicek.   She was celebrating her 80th birthday and GPaZ would be celebrating his 75th birthday later in July.   So all of GPaZ's relatives turned out for the big party.   We had a grand time but I'm sorry to report that I didn't take any pictures as Grandpa was taking the pictures.   Once I get the pictures from him, I'll post a few.  We really enjoyed meeting Grandpa's family.

After the weekend, we headed to Lake Itasca.  This is where the Mississippi River begins, and this was Joey's choice of a vacation spot. 

Look at those cute kids getting ready for another Kreiling / Little vacation!

nana-itasca 050

Here's the gang at the headwaters of the Mississippi -

nana-itasca 087

And of course one must be able to say they have walked across the Mississippi River -

nana-itasca 080

while the kids took the shortcut across...

nana-itasca 079

I'll let Nicky tell the rest of the Lake Itasca story!

1 comment:

Viki said...

Joey got to pick the vacation spot? I'm jealous - we never got to pick spots. Well, we did have good vacations though...