Tuesday, August 22, 2006




We decided to attend a Corn Roast this weekend which was at the Indian Culture Museum in Allentown. As most of you know, Maddy's very favorite subject is history, so we are really enjoying early American history while we are out here in Pennsylvania. The girls learned how to make an animal skin into a soft piece of leather. (The pictures are of them taking the fur off the skin.) Did you know that once the fur is removed and it has been dried, you coat it with mashed up brain and water to get it soft? We also learned that if you make arrows and tools from stone you are a "flint knapper". (By the way, in the controversy about what you call the native people... they all called themselves "Indians" which I find fascinating since we are taught to call them natives... Just an interesting observation...)






You of course can't go to Allentown without checking to see if they indeed did close all the factories down... Although in Bethlehem, there was no evidence of people filling out forms, standing in line.... :) This is a shot of one of the steel mills that was shut down, but is just standing and rotting.... The girls took it from the car window and thought it would make a good postcard.



1 comment:

TreyJ said...

If I went to Allentown, I'd want to check the Billy Joel references, too.

The next time my leather gets dry and tough, I'll be sure to get some brains and soften it up! :-)