So they went off to school for the first time today. Most of you know that Craig and I didn't plan to homeschool the girls - it just came about because of a bad situation for Maddy in kindergarten and then it just worked for our family. We have always felt that there are pros and cons to both public education and homeschooling and for us the pros of homeschooling won out. Until now - with our latest move, Maddy REALLY wanted to try school. She is missing a very good friend that we left behind in Florida and is hoping that she can find friends at school. Craig and I are hoping that she not only gets her wish, but enjoys the experience.
Katie on the other hand has no interest in school. She is perfectly happy homeschooling and wants to keep things just the way she knows them. With Katie being a more social kid, I'm actually hopeful that she enjoys the experience as well.
I have to say that Craig and I are totally on the fence. Maddy's class is going to be very large and Katie will have a substitute for at least the first 4 week, but both teachers seem very warm and friendly. We went to a new family orientation and I have to say we did not leave impressed with the presentation. We left wondering if it is the best setting for the girls. But, I know they will be fine and they will get used to the setting. The big question is - is this the right decision for our family? Tune in around Christmas time when Craig and I decide if they finish the year or come back home..... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment